Here we go.

19 October 2008

The past several days have been a blur!  I don't know if I can even recount all of the things that happened around me, but I'll try.  (I've been sick in bed!)

ATMs grandfather passed away Friday afternoon.  It was only this past Thursday that ATM rushed to Jackson, MS to visit him.  He went back early this morning and will stay until Tuesday for visitation & funeral.  Safe travels & beaming heart rays to him & his family.  I will not be able to accompany him, I've missed a lot of work last week.

On his way back from M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I, ATM bought me a Kitchen Aid stand mixer - -  FOR NO SPECIAL REASON!  

This is tantamount to buying me a car or something!  What a thoughtful fella, I'm so lucky. In less than 24 hours that I've possessed the mixer, I've made royal icing for the sugar skulls and chocolate chip cookies.  It just makes things so much easier!  I love it! 

Undecorated sugar skulls:

 

Yesterday, we went camping, but had to cut it short.  We totally unpacked and set up the tent, built a fire -- then his mum called & told him the 'schedule' for visitation/funeral.  We ate lunch, packed it all back up & went home.  

Re-packing:

I totally poked it with a stick:


ATM set up a fire in the backyard, so we could day-camp & ensure we got that smoky smell embedded into our clothes & hair.  The nice thing about day-camping at home is that SOLO can hang out with us, too.  


We finally stenciled our camping seal on our gear boxes.  


After ATM left this morning, KMHD came over & we walked the Junction Bridge into downtown LR.  We happened across a sculpture display/show/contest in the Rivermarket.











I was looking at a sculpture when some miss from Channel 4 news approached & asked if she could ask me some questions about early voting.  I agreed & nervously answered her questions & gave her my take about it.  I was (AM) such a nerd, I was so nervous!  And didn't get to tell her all that I felt about it.  I wish I could have a do-over.  I would've at least put some lip balm on, yikes, I think I was rockin' some chapped lips.  Anyway, will I be on the news tonight?

After our walk, me & KMHD did a little shopping - - you know, light bulbs, prescription pills, acrylic paint for projects.  When we got back to the house, we practiced our kickboxing form, we're getting tested tomorrow!  We could be getting our senior white belt tomorrow!  

Ah!  I almost forgot, I got a very pleasant surprise in the mail on Friday.  THANK YOU, Jhnmrk!!!

I know Drew Daniel from a message board that I frequent, I'm looking forward to reading his effort.  You always send the best books.  ATM just started the last book in the Bonfiglioli series that you sent me.  He'll stay up late reading - - as I fall asleep, I can hear him chuckling.  SO GOOD.  Thank you!  I've been trying to think of a nice way to return the favor.  Is there anything from LR/AR you want?  I need to order a few 33 1/3 -- can I order it from Continuum Book website?   If you'll let me know in the comments, should anyone else want to order, too.  

LAST PHOTO.  Someone has graffiti'ed the little rock, LR's namesake.  As viewed from the LR side of the Junction Bridge:





5 comments:

Alannah said...

Fuck. My condolences to ATM. If you read this, Andrew - I'm really sorry. Grandpas are so good to know and love. I still think about my grandpa all the time. I hope your family is coping well.

KitchenAid stand up mixer! The holy grail! I'm still dreaming of the day I own one. Oh, the things I'll bake....

What is UP with the sexy, homoerotic Native Americans? We've got this huge bronze sculpture on campus that looks like two be-feathered dudes who just can't wait to do it.

I like the face in the rock sculpture.

Is the nekkid lady sculpture supposed to be some kind of birdbath? We definitely need more pubic hair in ornamental garden pieces.

I just read about the Andy Warnhol exhibit. That's my daughter's favorite artist. When I showed her the article in today's paper and told her I wanted to take her down to LR so she could see it she said, "Wait - so these are the REAL paintings?" Heehee!

Hope you're feeling better.

kmhd said...

Andrew, we be thinkin' about you.

Ai Lien, your cookies are om nom nom nom nom nom. Seth wants the recipe.

Alannah, the exhibit is wonderful. I was fortunate to attend the preview party. Come on down!

John Mark said...

Good vibes headed ATM's way...

I am pretty sure that all 3 of those authors are on that messageboard you speak of.

I would LOVE to put the Wang Dang Sweet Birdbath in my front yard.

And, I did not poke it with a stick, but I considered doing so:
http://flickr.com/photos/johnmark/2952820439/in/set-72157608152740888/

AMD & KMHD said...

Alannah, if I'm not mistaken, I think that the exhibit is mostly Andy's screen prints. Me & ATM saw this exhibit in Memphis, it's great! The gift shop had a lot of really cool Warhol stuff -- Xmas is around the corner!

The KitchenAid mixer IS the holy grail! Thx for putting into words what I couldn't say. I feel like he rolled into my house with car w/ a red ribbon tied around it! I pretty much have to make him sweets on demand now.

Ya'll the "birdbath" was called, "Gaia's Daughter". It was a total "whoa-hoah" piece. I watched people and they would try not to look at it for too long for fear that they may appear pervy. Well, that's what I thought, anyway.

KMHD, that cookie recipe may have to qualify as a "family secret".

Alannah said...

The more I look at the photo of the upright native american, the more I realize it is obviously a crucifixion pose. maybe the sculptor did one of christ and just kept the same mold?

Blog Archive